1980



Bon Scott, ( Ronald Belford Scott ) 7/9/46 – 2/19/80. Born in Kirriemuir, Scotland, Bon was lead singer for AC/DC. He was vocalist on their album “Highway to Hell”. After a heavy night of drinking he was left to sleep in a car and was found dead the next day. There is controversy over his cause of death some saying he chocked on his vomit, but the official report listed alcohol poisoning. He was 33.

Bon was often heard saying that if the band (AC/DC) didn't make it big soon he was going to quit. Less than a year after his death they came out with Back in Black, one of the best selling albums of all time. His friend, Vince Lovegrove, is quoted as saying this about Bon, "There was unquestionably an undercurrent of resigned sadness behind his impish grin. "

Ac/Dc - Back In Black
via FoxyTunes



Ian Curtis, (Ian Kevin Curtis) 7/15/56 - 5/18/80. Ian was the vocalist and lyricist, as well as occasional guitarist and keyboardist, of the band Joy Division. People still discuss the his work today, his writing was influenced by a troubled life. Ian committed suicide. He was 23.

When Ian was a teenager he was obsessed with David Bowie and decided that he too would have a life as a musician. After watching a Sex Pistols show, he and three friends decided to start a band and Joy Division was born. Its said that many of the songs he wrote hinted of his eventual suicide. I guess no one will ever know for sure if that is true or not. There is a movie on his life called "Control", I plan to watch it soon. RIP, dear young Ian.

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart (Permanent Mix)
via FoxyTunes




John Bonham, (aka Bonzo) (John Henry Bonham), 5/31/48 – 9/25/80. Born in Worcestershire, England John was drummer for the legendary band, Led Zeppelin. He is considered by many to be the best rock drummer of all time and known for using “heavy sticks” in his hard hitting drum style. John was heavy drinker and died from asphyxiation of vomit after a day and night of consuming alcohol. John was 32.


This John, and the John below him died within months of each other. I have vivid and emotional memories of hearing the horrific news. On September 25, 1980 I was in a great mood because it was my 20th birthday. I was working at the local community college and as I walked across campus to go celebrate with friends, I noticed some students gathered together obviously upset. As I approached them I could hear that they were talking about the death of John Bonaham. I could not believe it, Led Zeppelin has always been one of my favorite bands. I'd been saddened by the death of a few rockers prior to John, but this was the first time it hit me hard enough to cry. It certainly wasn't the last....

Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
via FoxyTunes




John Lennon
, (John Winston Lennon), 10/9/40 – 12/8/40. Born in Liverpool, England John was a member of the Beatles and also had a successful solo career. He was shot and killed as he exited his apartment building in New York City. He was 40.

My memory of John's death is almost too eerie to discuss. I wrote about it elsewhere so let me know if you are interested in reading the whole story. The short version: I was looking at a drawing of him that a friend was doing when the news was broadcast over the radio. It was so surreal, I had to wonder if I was having a nightmare. I wasn't, someone had murdered John in cold blood. John was known for his love of peace, his desire for people to get along with one another. The irony of his violent death shocked the world. I still have a hard time thinking about it. In the case of John Lennon, I can’t say enough so I won’t attempt to say much at all. Life can be so damn unfair.

John Lennon - Imagine
via FoxyTunes

6 comments:

Cherokee Billie said...

In 1964 I was thirteen years old and fell in love with the Beatles. From the beginning John Lennon was my favorite. I loved his poetry writings along with his songs. I was fortunate to see the Beatles perform four different times. After John Lennon left the Beatles he continued to inspire me with his courage to step out and say what he really thought about the life and the world. It was such a tragic loss and for no good reason that he left this planet. Thank god his words, poems, songs, and drawings are left to inspire us.

I love you John,
Cherokee Billie
www.cherokeebillie.com

D_Generate said...

John was murdered upon "returning" to his apartment building.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Sid was Malcolm's finest marketing move. Glen was the real bassist of that band. Sid was just flash and a way for Malcolm to try to subdue Johnny. Too bad it blew the band apart after.

Control was an incredible movie. Just incredible. 24 Hour Party People also touches on Ian and JD as they were an integral part of the whole Madchester scene. Bit of trivia...Ian was listening to Iggy Pop's The Idiot at the time of his death. Joy Division remains one of my favorite bands of all time. The spaces in between the music in their songs is simply amazing.

Cinnamon Girl said...

I was 10 when Lennon was shot. I was the one who broke the news to my parents. I remember going to school the next day wearing a black arm band. My teacher had one too. I think I was the only 6th grader who got it.

Tonal Memories said...

While I think this blog is really awesome, I have to be a bit nit picky hear. Please, I am not trying to be goofy but I am a huge fan of many of the artists on this list. I question your choice of songs to play as a sample. Bon Scott did not sing Back in Black, Brian Johnson did. Dirty Deeds, Ride On, Hiway to HEll would be a better choice. Thanks.

Bertadog said...

its quite odd on the day john bonham died i won the lottery tickets for the led zeppelin concert in chicago. theats when i heard the news!!!